Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Coconut Milk

Coconut is ridiculously easy to make. Hot water, coconut, and a blender. Whenever I would randomly feel like making some Thai dish that required coconut milk, I would never use it all and it would spoil. Since I order dry goods in bulk for my bread business I have access to a 25lb bag of coconut. I use shredded and unsweetened.  But you don't need a 25 lb bag of coconut to make coconut milk.
This recipe is perfect for using in soups, stir fries, or to drink (just add vanilla, or honey, or whatever flavor you are looking for).

Ingredients:
2 cups of shredded coconut
4 cups of hot water

Directions:
Place the water and coconut in a blender and puree for a few minutes. Let sit for about 1-2 hrs. Place in a colander or cheesecloth to separate the coconut from the liquid. Squeeze as much liquid from the coconut as possible. Place in the fridge and use within a week.

~3 1/4 cups of Coconut milk

With the leftover coconut you can dry it for coconut flour (gluten free) or use it for body scrubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment